Skip to main content

Aerobility - British Disabled Flying Association

A while ago I was looking at a website called Accessible Britain for some inspiration for new activities I could try that were accessible for both me and my electric wheelchair. I came across an article written by someone who had flown a light aircraft with Aerobility from Lasham Airport (Aerobility have since moved to Blackbushe Airport from Lasham and also work from Tatenhill in the Midlands and Prestwick in Scotland). I read the article and looked at Aerobility's website and decided that this was something that I wanted to try.

I don't think I've mentioned on my blog before that I volunteer in the office for Stoke-on-Trent based charity Caudwell Children. The charity pays for equipment and treatments for sick and disabled children whose families wouldn't otherwise be able to afford. So what better way to try to raise some money for this great cause than to do a sponsored flight in a light aircraft? I booked my flight, which was a very reasonable £60, and collected some sponsors.


On Monday 4th November, after weeks of rescheduling over appointment clashes and weather issues, etc, I went over to Tatenhill Airfield in the Midlands for the big day. I had recruited both of my sisters to help, my older sister Pippa as PA to help with transferring me from chair to aircraft, and my younger sister Mel as Photographer (check out her photography Facebook page). Luckily the weather stayed very calm and sunny all day, which I was hoping it would.

When we arrived at the airfield parking was situated as soon as we entered, it was all on the flat and very accessible. After parking we made our way to the cafe which was inside a portacabin, all of which was ramped for easy access. We made our presence known to the airfield staff who notified our Aerobility pilot Craig.


The cafe had a great view of the runway. After a few minutes of waiting and watching all the aircraft taking off and landing we met Craig, who was extremely tall, I wondered whether he would actually fit into one of these aircraft! Our pilot showed us to the aircraft which would be used for my flight, it was a Grumman American Aviation AA-5 Traveler, G-TALJ. This type of aircraft was used because the canopy opened from the top and was easier to be hoisted over the top and straight down into the seat.


Because of the way my legs are I wasn't sure if I'd actually be able to fit into such a small aircraft, but Craig was very determined to get me into the seat and into the air, so after trying a few different ways that is what happened... There's nothing a scarf (tied around the legs) and a hoist sling (holding an arm in place) can't fix!


Once I was in the seat and all tied up, Mel got into the back, Craig did some pre-flight checks, we put on our headphones (Craig helped me with mine) and we were ready for the off. The engine started up and the whole of the tiny plane shook from side to side. There was another plane in front of us and we all had to wait for another one to land before we could go. While we waited Craig explained some of the instruments inside the aircraft, from the altitude, horizon and speed gauges, etc, to the foot pedals and hand controls.

"Once the aircraft in front is off the ground, we can go. Are you ready?" I confirmed to Craig that I was ready but I wasn't expecting the aircraft in front to be off the ground quite so fast, before I knew it we were headed down the runway for takeoff! By this time it was 15.55 so the sun was setting.


As we were climbing into the sky my headphones decided to fall off my head, I tried to tell the pilot but by this point the microphone was nowhere near my mouth. I could see that Craig was saying something but the engine was so loud I couldn't hear anything else, luckily he looked at me and must have wondered why I hadn't replied and noticed my headphones were round the back of my neck! Mel was obviously too busy taking photos to even notice!


Craig tried one handed to try to put my headphones back on, the left side was on enough for me to hear him say that he was going to level out the plane so he could use both hands to help me... Well then I was slightly scared as no one was in control of the aircraft for a few seconds! It's not like a commercial jet which basically flies itself, this is all flown manually, it's much more difficult and requires much more skill to fly.

With everything back in place and as it should be we continued our flight. As we cruised at an altitude of 2,300 feet and at a speed of around 90mph Craig pointed out places as we flew along, we circled around Alton Towers so we could have a good look at it, there were a lot of vehicles on the car park, and we could clearly see the castle and some of the rides poking out from behind the trees. We flew over JCB at Rocester, saw a large lake in Lichfield, the town of Cheadle, the Peak District in the distance and an £82 million football complex next to the airfield.


Everything looked really beautiful from the air, especially on such a clear day and at sunset. We were up in the air for 30 minutes when it was time to come back down. The time went really fast, as the saying says "time flies when you're having fun!". Craig explained that you can't just roll-up and land, there's a certain path you have to follow while notifying the control tower of your intentions (in your best pilot voice). The landing was extremely smooth with no bumps whatsoever. Once we were back on the ground, Craig parked the aircraft back next to my wheelchair which just looked as though it had been abandoned there! Getting out of the aircraft was much easier than getting in.


Even though I didn't actually take control of the aircraft myself as I couldn't reach, I still felt it was a really big achievement and an amazing experience. This time I have raised around £250 for Caudwell Children, but I loved doing it so much that I plan to do it again in summer, just for fun next time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SpecialEffect - Gaming with a Disability

From a very young age I remember being interested in video games and playing them. When we were young, me and my siblings would play Sonic the Hedgehog and Alex Kidd on the Sega Master System II, and then Super Mario Kart (my favourite!) on the Super Nintendo. This was back when controllers were much simpler to use and had less buttons to press, and I had a bit more movement in my arms than I do now.

Arthrogryposis and me

As you can probably tell, I am no writer. I don't even remember why I started this blog, and I haven't wrote in it for a few years, but I thought it was about time that I wrote at least something! So maybe I'll start again, this time by writing a few things about myself: 30 years ago I was born with a rare disability called Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita (AMC). Basically, this means that my joints are extremely stiff and my muscles are weaker than average, the muscles also pull the joints into curved positions. This condition is something that happens to the baby whilst it is developing inside the womb. There isn't really a known cause, but one of the theories is that there just isn't enough space inside the womb for the baby to move around, so the limbs don't develop properly. Some people only have their upper limbs affected, others only their lower limbs, and then people like me where it affects all four of their limbs. Most people who have AMC are abl